Sunday, August 7, 2011

“Riots in the Streets of Tottenham”

I would love to think that maybe the Tottenham High Road riots were a reaction to the Spurs beating Athletic Bilbao 2-1 on Saturday. So jubilant were the fans that Modric played, Bale was electric, and even Defoe scored, that they left WHL is a state of wild euphoria, but sadly, there were more mundane reasons for it kicking off in the streets.

2-1 against reasonable Spanish opposition is a good pre-season result, and we should be happy. Sitting here in chilly old New Zealand, I was unable to watch the match, so I can’t really describe how we played, only regurgitate the “poor 1st half, good changes at half time, and better play after the break” mantra of the many reviews and blogs I have read since the game. It is encouraging to see that Crouch seems to have hit a rare vein of form, with a handful of goals in the pre-season matches, and a goal by Defoe have become collectors’ items over the past 12 months.

Even more encouraging is the reception that Luka got from the fans when he came on for Pienaar in the 1st half, as I think some of us were a bit concerned that the “boo-boys” might have had a go. No need to worry, because as ever, Spurs fans are more cultured than that, we can look past the indiscretions of the closed-season and make sure we get right behind our midfield magician, and appreciate the raw talent & skill that he brings to the team when he puts on the shirt.  Now let’s get on with the League & Europa Cup preparations, (Hearts, We can do them… Can’t we..?) , and we can start the new season with a clean slate.

In other news, Steed Malbranque has left Sunderland and heading back to Europe with French side St Etienne. Good on him…, but this left me with a hole in my Ex-Spurs Fantasy Football Team. So I guess I am gonna have to roll out Matthew Etherington, who spent a couple of season with Spurs in the early 2000’s, scoring a grand total of 1 goal in that time (in a 2-2 draw against Everton). Hopefully he will go on to score a few more than that for Stoke City this season.

I have also become aware that I could use Luke Young of Aston Villa, (who spent 5 seasons at Spurs starting in 1997), in my back line to replace either BAE or Charlie Corluka, but have elected to keep them both as they are now part of the team name. I reserve the right to change my mind at any point in the season….

No comments:

Post a Comment